The Lanphear Supply division of the Forest City Tree Protection Co., Inc was founded in the late 1950's to provide tree care and landscape supplies for the growing green industry. The Lanphear Supply mission: Dedicated to providing exceptional, quality, & diversified products, service, & knowledge, at a fair profit, to tree care, & related green industry professionals. Customer Satisfaction - knowing & meeting our customers' needs and helping them be successful is our top priority.
We carry a full range of Stihl Equipment. We can supply all your equipment needs for climbing, rigging and pruning. In addition we are a main dealer for Mauget micro-injection products, Doggett tree fertilizers, Short Stop tree growth regulator, PHC mycorrhizae inoculants, and other tree healthcare products. Mike Verik is Gold Level factory certified, the highest level of training available from Stihl Incorporated.
Company History In the summer of 1902, William P. "Will" Lanphear, Jr., a student at the Western Reserve University, found work trimming and caring for trees up and down Euclid Avenue in Cleveland, on the "Heights" (eastern suburbs), and out east in the Village of Gates Mills.
Following graduation, W.P. Lanphear, Jr. taught school and helped his folks run a summer, Chippewa Lake. However, he never lost his interest in tree care and in 1906, he went to Tarrytown, New York, where seventy-five college men trimmed and cared for trees throughout the big estates along the Hudson, Pocantica Hills, Long Island, etc... But he didn't like traveling all over, so he decided to start out by himself with his own company in Cleveland and vicinity.
In 1910 he took the name Forest City Tree Protection Company. The City of Cleveland was first tagged as the "Forest City" back in the early 19th century. In 1823, Leonard Case was responsible for an ordinance regulating the planting of shade trees on village streets and starting the "Forest City" on its way to fame. The first documented reference appears in an 1874 American Encyclopedia: "The abundance of shade trees, cheifly maple, has given to the city (Cleveland) the title of the 'Forest City'."
He moved his family and the company to its present location in South Euclid, OH in 1918. His two sons, John and William III, grew up with the family business, joining full-time in 1937 and eventually became full partners with their father. Both sons graduated from Western Reserve University.
In 1958 the partnership was dissolved and the firm was incorporated. Mr. Lanhphear, Jr. passed away in December of 1966 at which time John was named Board Chairman and William III (Bill) became President. John Lanphear retired in 1975 because of serious illness and sold his shares to Bill.
Bill's son, Lauren, became involved full-time in 1979 upon graduation from Hiram College. Like his father and Uncle, Lauren grew up with the tree care business, working part-time through senior high school and college. He became Vice-president and a shareholder in 1980. Bill Lanphear retired in 1983. Lauren became president in 1993. For tree care needs, call the Forest City Tree Protection Co. at 216-381-1700.
In October of 1979, a division called Chim, Chim, Cher-ee Professional Chimney Sweeps was establisehd, providing chimney cleaning services to homeowners. Call them at 216-381-8524.